Labels

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

Is the zucchini in your garden taking over your life?  Your kitchen?  Your garage?   I love zucchini on the grill, or sliced and fried in a pan.  But my favorite way to eat it is in a chocolate cake.  Big surprise, right?  or not.  I don't frost it because it doesn't need it.  But if you feel the need, please do so.  : )



Every summer I grate tons of zucchini and freeze into 2 cup and 3 cup bags.  My cake calls for the 2 cup bags and my bread calls for the 3 cup bags.  Bread coming soon . . . 


Chocolate Zucchini Cake
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil (or applesauce)
3 eggs
1 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk (regular milk + 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice)
2 1/2 cups flour
4 Tbsp cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup chocolate chips

Combine butter, oil, eggs and sugar until well blended.  Add remaining ingredients in order.  Pour into greased large bun pan (cookie sheet size pan with sides) and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until set in the center.

No comments:

Post a Comment