Labels

Friday, September 30, 2011

You Must

make this at your earliest convenience. It's a recipe I got from the Pioneer Woman's website. I've tweaked it to my own liking and have listed the recipe as I make it . . . with more bacon and sauce. : ) It's easier than easy to make and it's better than any restaurant pasta I've had. So Olive Garden, step aside. WAY to the side.
Pasta with Bacon & Leeks
12 oz. bowtie pasta
8 oz. bacon chopped
2 leeks chopped and rinsed (they sometimes have sand hiding in the layers. Leeks look like giant green onions, but they're very mild)
1 Tbsp butter
salt
pepper
3/4 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (not the kind in the can, but you can use the kind in the bag)

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add pasta and cook until al dente. Meanwhile, saute bacon in a pan until it starts to brown. Add the leeks and butter to the bacon (butter keeps the leeks from burning, so don't cut it to save calories). Saute for 7 or 8 minutes until leeks are soft. Add chicken broth and simmer for 2 minutes. Add in cream and simmer for another 2 minutes. Toss pasta into the sauce. Add parmesan, give it a stir, and serve!



Now, let's talk about this bread. It's simple. It's crazy good. My family now looks forward to this bread a few times a month at our house. You'd think by the depth of flavor in this bread that it is shmeared with spices and cheese. But nope, it's just salted butter. I was very skeptical when I first saw this recipe on PW, but then I read the reviews and decided I had to try it. And until that first bite hit my mouth, I was still unsure. It has a lot of butter. You'll just have to get over it.
The Bread
One loaf french bread
1 stick of butter room temperature

Slice the loaf in half length wise. Spread one-half stick of butter over each half. Place on baking sheet in an oven preheated to 350 degrees. Heat for 5 minutes. Move the rack to the top and broil bread for 3-4 minutes. Don't be afraid to get the edges of the bread a little black while the top browns. It really enhances the flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment