Labels

Friday, September 30, 2011

Soup!

Remember how I am trying to find recipes with beans? I found one that I really like. It's simple, full of protein, and low fat. Best of all, it can be made easily if you keep your pantry stocked.

Bean Soup
2 cans Ranch Style Beans
1 can corn
1 can white hominy
1 can garbanzo beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can diced green chilis
1 lb ground beef (browned with onion, salt, pepper)

Place all items in a crock pot and cook on low for 4-6 hours. I dump all cans in with their juices. You can add a little water if you like. I also added a small amount of salt and pepper.

And what's a bowl of soup without fresh homemade bread???

I'm thinking you could really jazz up this soup like we do the tortilla soup. A dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle of cheese, some avocado . . . but it's good enough to stand on its own, too.

Side Note: When I cook ground beef, I always do it with an onion. I cook about 4 lbs at a time, then freeze them in 1 lb increments. It makes life so easy since it is ready for soups, casseroles, spaghetti sauce, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment